How we make decisions
Wiltshire Health and Care makes decisions once a defined and clearly understood process has been followed in line with its Standing Orders and Scheme of Delegation.
Key processes involved in our decision making include:
- The strategic planning process
- Budget setting
- Major business cases
- Approving the business plan and delivery plan
- Deciding to make changes to services or service delivery
The Board has overall responsibility for leading Wiltshire Health and Care.
The Board consists of:
Non-Executive board representatives:
- The Chair
- Three independent non-executive board representatives
- Three ‘Member’ board representatives (one from each of the three partners of the LLP, namely Great Western NHS Foundation Trust, Royal United Hospitals Bath NHS Foundation Trust, Salisbury NHS Foundation Trust
Executive board representatives:
- Four members of the Executive Team
The Board’s key functions are:
- To set strategic direction for Wiltshire Health and Care, define objectives and agree plans for the organisation
- To monitor performance and ensure corrective action is taken where performance needs to be improved
- To ensure Wiltshire Health and Care makes best use of the finances made available to us by the taxpayer
- To ensure high standards of corporate and clinical governance so the services we provide are safe and of a high quality
- The Chair is responsible for the overall conduct of Wiltshire Health and Care – managing the Board and for appointing and reviewing the performance of the Managing Director and, together with the Managing Director, the performance of the other executives
- The Non-Executive Board representatives do not have any managerial or executive responsibilities, but are available to provide support, advice and skills, and have responsibility for ensuring robust challenge of the Board on matters relating to the business of Wiltshire Health and Care
- The Managing Director is directly accountable to the Board for ensuring that its decisions are implemented
- The Managing Director is personally responsible for ensuring that the organisation works effectively in accordance with national policy and good governance, and maintains proper financial stewardship
- The Executives are responsible for the management of Wiltshire Health and Care in all its aspects, including delivery of services, the management of staff and resources and the development of plans and strategies
Wiltshire Health and Care does not have any Governors. This is a requirement of Foundation Trusts only.
Wiltshire Health and Care’s decisions are informed by its clinical teams. Both the Managing Director and the Chief Operating Officer dedicate time to ensure that the views of each clinical team within the organisation are listened to and taken into account.